You have taken the first step into freelance writing. Now, where do you find freelance writing jobs on the internet?
You can try classifieds on the newspapers but I doubt that there would be more choices than online sites.
It is not difficult to find jobs online. However, it takes time to search for the right job.
Here is a list of freelancing job sites to begin:
- Upwork (previously known as Odesk & aka Elance)
- SoloGig – good for IT & Engineering jobs
- Programmer meet Designer
- FreelanceWriting – this is like a feed for all freelance writing jobs from many freelancing sites
- SunOasis Freelance Writing
- CraigsList – select your area > jobs > writing / editing (alternatively you can post your service in services > write/ed/tr8)
You can also use Indeed to help you narrow down your search for jobs. All you need to do is type in “freelance” or “freelance writing” into the search box.
When you bid for a job, make sure you don’t sell out yourself. Place a bid with a rate that is reasonable. Don’t bid as if you are dying to get the job (this will only benefit the clients and NOT you). Remember there are many other jobs and if you are being offered a low paying job, try to find others before you accept it.
Now that you know where to get the jobs you want, how do you make sure you get the job?
- When you apply for a job, make sure you submit your resume that covers your expertise and mention your experience (if applicable). You don’t need a long resume, a short one will do as long as you have all the important facts in it.
- If you are bidding for a job, mention briefly how you are going to get the job done and of course, don’t forget to put in your rate for the whole project and perhaps explain why you set such a rate.
- If you are being asked for a sample through the bidding sites, ask the client if your sample work will be paid. (Usually, some clients won’t pay and when you submit your work, they use it freely for their own advantage – you are at the losing end)
So, how do YOU get your freelance jobs. Feel free to share with us!
This article is updated on 20th August 2015.