Writing for NaNoWriMo is not as easy as you ‘think’. You need a lot of ideas and energy to keep on writing. Determination is also very important as you will need to keep on writing for 30 days to complete 50k words (for your novel).
There are a few tips to follow if you are participating NaNoWriMo. Whether this is your first time or second time (or maybe many times), you can still make use of these tips:
- 50,000 divide by 30 days and you get 1666.67, which means you have to write about 1700 words every day in order to achieve the target of 50k words in 30 days. So make sure you set your target to write 1700 words in a day for 30 days.
- Be sure to have a main idea in your mind when you write. You can expand your main idea but it is better to stick to your main idea as you need to get your first draft completed in 30 days. You can start to enhance your imagination weeks before the start of NaNoWriMo so that by the time November is approaching, you know what you can write about.
- Don’t get stressed when you are writing. There is no need to rush although it would be best to focus on writing if you are determined to reach the target.
- If you can’t write everyday, you can always catch up on weekends. However, since you need to write about 1700 words every day, be sure to calculate how many words you need to catch up with, when you have the time to write [i.e. 1700 x (number of days you have missed writing) = total words to write / catch up with].
- Sometimes, you won’t be able to get the sentences in the correct flow. When this happens, you can always write a few words in random and then coin them together whichever way you can.
- Keep on writing and never edit your work even though you know you have made mistakes such as error in spellings and grammar. Your goal is to complete 50k words in 30 days, not to write a perfect copy of novel for publishing immediately.
- This tip might sounds like a cheat but actually it is not: always spell out numbers or character’s name in full characters. For example: 22 = twenty two, Mr. Y.L. Wong = Mr. Wong Lai Yong, and so on.
- Commitment is very important. Without commitment you won’t be able to complete the whole journey at all.
- Always be conscious of the number of words you need to write (do this every day before you begin your writing ritual).
- If you need more resources, check out NaNoFiMo resources page.