So, you have written an article, an e-book or a thesis. However, proofreading is important to make sure there are no errors or mistakes in your work such as spelling mistakes or grammar mistakes.
It is a slow process but it is also an important process of writing especially if you are a professional writer.
Here are a few tips to help you proofread easily.
1. Get a reliable reference book especially on Grammar. Oxford is by far the best but you can check out other sources for reliable reference books.
2. Apart from checking spelling and grammar, there are other stuff to look out for such as heading and font sizes. Be sure to ask yourself, what you want to check before you start proofreading.
3. You might want to print out a copy of your work to proofread. Some people find it easier to proofread on papers. If you have a printer, print the material, proofread and correct using a red pen, if necessary.
4. Check the font sizes. Small font sizes will increase the chances of missing out the mistakes you make.
5. You might want to consider to hop around while reading. Read from the beginning until the end seems to be the perfect way to proofread but actually by hopping around, you can increase the chances of spotting mistakes especially wrong spellings.
6. Not everyone is keen on proofreading. It is a boring job (it is true!) because you have to spend so much time reading and spotting for any mistakes. However, someone has to do the job, and if you are not up for the challenge, find someone who is willing to do the job (with a price to pay). You can get a freelance proofreader through any freelance job sites.
7. Check again! Once you are done, read through the whole material again. It doesn’t hurt although you might not be in the mood for more reading (of the same material). Still, you have to do it to make sure you have a perfect copy before publishing (99.9% no mistake).
If you have any other proofreading tips, feel free to share with us.